Monday, May 14, 2007

Pretension gets un-Pretensed



Had a brief email exchange with Jamie Hastie over the weekend. I was puzzled at first, but when I understood, I must say I was filled with a great sense of peace.

The email exchange was rather simple. Jamie informed me he had bought a boat. Now as one of the Founding Fathers of Escaped Aussies (Antigua 2000) I of course assumed a sailboat. But no. It's a stinky. A powerboat. A beer guzzling, gas drinking, bikini clad nuisance to any principled sailor in the world.

So I puzzled and puzzled. How could this be? After all - Jamie defines accomplished sailor. He's raced for decades on Sydney Harbor, been to Hobart many times, he even figures prominently in the book The Fatal Storm about his experiences go to Hobart in 1998. This guy is a sailor.

So I puzzled a little more, and in a Dr. Suess like moment, it hit me. This man is relaxing. He enjoys this. It's easy to get around, it's easy to guzzle beer, it's easy to cart around bikini-clad items. Jamie has proven himself in sailing - many times over. He'll sail again, no worries. But maybe there's more. And maybe it's down a notch or two.

My moment of zen for the day. Ahhhh..... Happy Motoring Jamie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home